Pride in Our Strengths
As a physician at Western Connecticut Health Network, the strengths of our innovative, research-driven team empowers you to deliver the most advanced evidence-based patient care while collaborating with renowned colleagues. Discover a leading-edge environment in a region with an exceptional quality of life. Align your clinical expertise and strength with our extensive network today.
Each year, WCHN trains about 150 third and fourth-year medical students through residencies in Anesthesiology, Dentistry, Internal Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pathology, Psychiatry, Surgery, and Primary Care, as well as a fellowship in Cardiovascular Disease. Danbury Hospital is one of the few hospitals in the country to offer a primary care residency program based on the NCQA-certified Primary Care Medical Home model. We are particularly proud to be affiliated with the University of Vermont's School of Medicine, and on course to become a satellite campus of this highly selective university.
A Global Health Education Program established jointly by WCHN and UVM College of Medicine in 2012 expands the medical education program internationally into Russia and Uganda, with plans to add locations in Vietnam and the Dominican Republic. Student, resident and faculty exchanges began in 2013. Locally, the Global Health program offers monthly seminars and lectures on both the Danbury Hospital and UVM campuses.
Staff physicians are offered hundreds of onsite and local educational (CME) opportunities every year, as well as a stipend and paid time to pursue off-site continuing medical education opportunities.
At Western Connecticut Health Network, we expect all staff to embody a set of common values that guide our behavior and decision-making:
Excellence: Delivering the highest quality of care and service and surpassing ordinary standards. Continuously seeking ways to improve.
Integrity: Consistently approaching our work with an attitude of openness, honesty and ethical behavior at all times, with freedom from any corrupting influence or motive.
Teamwork: Putting the team or organization's goals ahead of any individual's agenda. Supporting co-workers and demonstrating the ability to work efficiently as a team in a cooperative and coordinated manner.
Respect: Treating all patients, families and co-workers courteously, regardless of individual differences. Speaking politely in all situations. Holding others in high esteem and treating them with dignity.
Fiscal Responsibility: Finding ways to accomplish our mission through the most efficient use of resources while acknowledging that we are responsible for our financial performance.
Our Network is a leader in implementing contemporary healthcare concepts, striving to remain at the forefront as healthcare evolves and advances. Examples include:
- Our Hospitalist practice, implemented nearly a decade ago. Every inpatient is assigned a hospitalist, a physician who oversees care for that patient during his/her stay and coordinates the patient's plan of care through discharge.
- Evidence-based testing and care plans – with the goal to provide the right care, in the right place, at the right time, avoiding unnecessary or redundant testing and procedures.
- The certification by the National Committee for Quality Assurance of four of our primary/family care practices as Primary Care Medical Homes, a forward-looking model of more personal, coordinated primary care that stresses prevention and the lifetime management of chronic conditions.
- A robust teaching and continuing education program that creates an environment for continuous learning, discovery and innovation.
- Emphasis on patient education and cultural literacy so that we effectively engage and empower patients and their families as partners in their care.
Patients of Western Connecticut Health Network benefit from our multi-disciplinary team approach to medicine. Our physicians work as a team with a diverse group of healthcare professionals, including PAs, APRNs, RNs, nutritionists, physical therapists, case managers, mental health staff, complementary medicine providers, and clinical pastors to help ensure that all of the needs of the patient will be met.
Our Network's medical group includes more than 240 physicians across more than 23 specialties and primary and family care, giving staff physicians the opportunity to consult with and refer patients to a broad range of specialists.
The team approach enhances patient satisfaction, builds a patient support system, strengths patient follow-up, and potentially improves outcomes by providing a seamless transition for patients across the continuum of care. This collaborative model of treatment is proving particularly effective with chronic conditions, including diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
Clinical and Translational Research
Our Network's researchers, clinicians, educators and medical trainees are pioneering new ground in translational research. The Western Connecticut Health Network Biomedical Research Institute was established in 2010 to push the frontiers of science and medical education in service to our patients. Our research targets disease areas where there is great patient need and where we can have great impact, including cancer and Lyme disease. Our Pathology and Laboratory Science team is also advancing new discoveries that can quickly benefit our patients.
We continue to make significant investments in research, which have included:
- Creating a new Biomedical Research Institute – a sophisticated research laboratory staffed by outstanding scientists and educators recruited from around the globe
- Acquiring state-of-the-art technology
- Patenting groundbreaking discoveries, publishing widely, and presenting at national and international conferences
- Collaborating with influential institutes such as the National Cancer Institute, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, J. Craig Venter Institute and University of Vermont College of Medicine
Our Network is committed to the highest levels of quality, service, safety and patient satisfaction. We have a set of organizational values and behavioral standards to which we adhere, which serves to remind us that every job in health care – even those removed from the clinical side – in some way ultimately touches the patient. We strive to see our service through our patients' eyes because they are the reason for our existence.
We continue to enhance our facilities with patient- and family-centered features and amenities to create a comfortable, healing environment. Improvements in progress include the addition of more private meeting areas and single-patient rooms, accommodations for family members, access to outdoor spaces, soothing décor, healthier menu options and clearer way-finding signage.
Our Network now offers diagnostic and treatment technology that competes with the best urban medical centers in the Northeast. Among our leading-edge tools and techniques are:
- The da Vinci® Surgical System used by our surgical teams to perform minimally invasive surgery.
- The new Artis Zeego®-equipped hybrid operating room used by our vascular surgeons to address the most high-risk cases.
- Advanced endoscopic technology (EUS and ERCP), navigational bronchoscopy and EBUS.
- State-of-the-art imaging technology in five Network locations, providing convenience and accessibility,
particularly to our cancer patients:
- A 64-slice CT scanner and open bore MRI
- A Linear Accelerator with the most advanced treatment planning technology
- A "robotic couch" that delivers high-precision cancer treatment and care
- A Breast Imaging Center equipped with the most advanced imaging and biopsy technology
- A sophisticated wound care center with hyperbaric medicine technology.
- A new Biomedical Research Institute conducting clinical and translational research in cancer and Lyme disease.
Connect With Us
No matter what stage you are in within your medical career, there's a place for you at Western Connecticut Health Network. We are committed to providing you a seamless, confidential and professional recruitment experience as you explore the strengths of our network and the career options available to you.
If you're an established physician, resident or fellow, and would like to learn more, please fill out the form below and one of our physician recruiters will contact you.
When you pick a place to live and practice, you're also picking a lifestyle. Western Connecticut Health Network offers the ideal location to live and work. You'll find the innovation, resources and opportunities you would expect from a major healthcare network, in a geographic location that provides the advantages and quality of life associated with a thriving, suburban setting.
The communities surrounding our Network's facilities offer the complements of city and country life:
- Outstanding recreational resources and top-ranking school systems
- Robust cultural and educational offerings
- Quick, easy access to New York City, Long Island Sound and the Berkshire Mountains
Our physicians and staff take advantage of the numerous local opportunities to pursue their personal interests, including: biking, skiing, hiking, attending theater and museums, kayaking, fine dining and sporting events.
Western Connecticut Health Network has centers of excellence in women's health, cardiovascular and cancer services, minimally invasive joint and spine surgery, digestive disorders, weight-loss (bariatric) surgery, and radiology and diagnostic imaging, as well as specialized programs for neonatology (including a Level IIIB neonatal intensive care unit) and an accredited sleep disorder center.
Most recently, Danbury Hospital received the Connecticut Hospital Association's prestigious 2013 John D. Thompson Award for Excellence in the Delivery of Healthcare Through the Use of Data, for its work to improve the treatment of heart attack patients. Danbury Hospital was also honored with the 2013 Community Service Award from the Connecticut Hospital Association, and named a 2013 Community Value Leadership Award Winner from Cleverly and Associates and a Top 100 Hospital by U.S. News & World Report in 2012. The Hospital also received the Advisory Board's Crimson Award for improving quality while reducing costs.
New Milford Hospital is a Planetree hospital – the gold standard for patient-centered care – and is nationally recognized for its Plow to Plate farm-to-table food program. The Hospital has also been recognized by the Institute for Healthcare Improvement and the Connecticut Quality Improvement Association.